PART OF A DISTINGUISHED TRADITION OF SERVICE
GFWC Woman’s Club of Rock Hill
The Woman’s Club of Rock Hill, a 501c3 organization, was organized in 1939 and is affiliated with the South Carolina Federation and General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC), the largest and oldest women’s volunteer
service organization in the world.
The Club has steadfastly served the local community with many projects implementing programs with guidelines provided by the General Federation. Members are organized into committees on the Arts, Conservation, Education, Home Life, International Outreach and Public Issues. View a list of projects, agencies and organizations supported by the Club’s projects.
The Club also maintains its historic clubhouse, the Armstrong-Mauldin House, and restored Mauldin Gardens at 607 Aiken Avenue. Maintenance of the house and gardens always has been and continues to be undertaken by Club members and their family members, except for house-cleaning and lawn service. The club is in the process of renovating a recently purchased adjacent property at 600 College Avenue. View information on the Club’s properties.
Anyone who is interested in becoming a part of our long-standing community service organization, please Contact Us.
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs – South Carolina (GFWC-SC) was founded in 1898 and includes 58 clubs in the state. It is headquartered in Columbia in the historic Sims-Stackhouse Mansion, which dates to the 1850s. For information about GFWC-SC and the Sims-Stackhouse Mansion, please visit www.gfwc-sc.org.
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC) is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. The headquarters building which was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1991, is located in Washington, DC.
As far back as 1899, federated women’s clubs had an impact on the social and cultural life of communities. They established the national model for the juvenile court system. They were also responsible for the establishment of 75% of America’s public libraries, led the effort to establish food safety laws, and contributed to the establishment of the Forest Reserve and the National Park Service. Notable clubwomen include Eleanor Roosevelt, Julia Ward Howe, author of “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” and a leader in the suffrage movement, and Jane Addams, founder of the Hull House, a settlement house in Chicago which served as a model for the social reform movement. For more information about GFWC go to www.gfwc.org.