The service programs of the Club follow the guidelines of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs.
Agencies/festivals recently benefiting from Woman’s Club committees’ work
Arts Council of York County, ChristmasVille, York County Library, Winthrop University Performing Arts, Clemson Extension 4-H programs, Animal Shelters, Recycling Center, St. Jude’s Ranch for Children, Park Point Village, SC State Library, York Technical College, Troops in Afghanistan, Ebenezer Avenue School, Ebinport School, Independence Elementary School, Palmetto School at Children’s Attention Home, City of Rock Hill, PMC nursery, Worthy Boys and Girls Camp, Pilgrim’s Inn, Habitat, Hope House, Veteran’s Hospital (Columbia), Veteran’s Clinic, Safe Passage, Tender Hearts Ministries, The Haven Men’s Shelter, Catawba Animal Clinic, Come-See-Me, York County Soil & Water Conservation District, Easter Seals, Ronald McDonald House.
Selected examples of the service programs carried out currently and
in recent years by the Woman’s Club.
- Annually funded the Long Family Scholarship for a student attending the Governor’s
Summer School for the Arts
- Participated annually in Elves in the Shelves at the Public Library during ChristmasVille
- Organized a small handbell group of members and friends; provide entertainment
at retirement facilities and agencies
- Contributed to 4-H Summer Day Camps; worked with 4-H Historical Club to establish
nationally registered Monarch Butterfly Waystation (with City of Rock Hill grant);
hosted two 4-H Camp Sew fashion shows
- Recycled newspapers, magazines, jewelry and greeting cards
- Worked with York Soil & Water Conservation District on its School Garden Project
- Organized a book club for members and guests
- Initiated projects for the Children’s Attention Home Palmetto School:
President’s Day educational activity; field trip to Riverbanks Zoo:
parties and gifts two times a year
- Established and supported the Dot Amick Scholarship at York Technical College
- Supported Breast and other cancer programs:
sewed and contributed headwear and comfort pillows
contributed funds for diagnostic screening for women without insurance.
- Spent volunteer time assisting at Pilgrim’s Inn, Tender Hearts
- Contributed to Worthy Boys and Girls Camp, Habitat for Humanity, local shelters, Canine Companions, Friends of the York County Shelter, Easter Seals, Ronald McDonald House
- Collected food for Hope House: rice, beans and peanut butter
- Provided small loans to women in developing countries through the KIVA program
- Provided for a Hispanic family each Christmas: clothes for the entire family and toys/gifts
for the children as well as a gift card for food & clothing; provided books to ESL program
at Ebinport School
- Supported veterans: visited 96 patients at the Veterans Hospital in Columbia and provided
heart pillows. The Club’s hand bell group, Musicality Ringers, provided entertainment for
and gave gas cards to assist 12 local veterans & their families at Christmas; supported Canines for Veterans and Sew Much Comfort
- Supported Troops: Sent cards and supplies (including snacks, blankets, books) to a troop
of twenty soldiers stationed in Afghanistan.
- Contributed toiletries, bedding, personal items to Safe Passage, Tender Hearts Ministries,
Worthy Boys Camp and the Haven Men’s Shelter