The Woman’s Club purchases 600 College Avenue
The Woman’s Club, with generous contributions from individual members and the community, purchased this house and lot which is located adjacent to the back property line of the Club’s 607 Aiken property. Originally 600 College was part of the 607 Aiken property.
The 600 College House was built by the Mauldins in 1939 and was the home of Laura and Billie Mauldin and family from 1940-50 and the home of Brucie and Fred Faircloth and their family from 1950-63.
It is 1 ½ stories with 2127 square feet. The backdrop of tall trees and wisteria along the side of the lot creates a green wall, as do the trees at the back of this lot. Enclosed, private and large, the lot provides a vista as you look from the porte cochère at the back of the clubhouse.
The Club plans to make some renovations to the 600 College house and enhance the landscaping. It will be used for club activities and the club’s small committee meetings.
In 2014, the Board of Historic Review, the Planning Commission and the City Council approved expanding the Charlotte Avenue/ Aiken Avenue Historic District to include 600 College Avenue.